Talking Tales

Category: , , , , , By The Last Leg



Unless you drive too far from Delhi, all roads leading to the city are vehicle-friendly, implying that you need not take your 4WD to sustain the bumps. 4 am on the coldest January morning of the year, we were cutting through the mist and comfortably cruising along to Agra.

The way I see it, most Indian men/women pay their first visits to Agra with their parents. It is a phenomenon, unexplainable by any realm of logic. My father did so and so did his father. With him on the wheel and me on my mother’s lap, three generations now had the same stories to tell.


Once we stepped into the Mughal capital of old, we were frighteningly surrounded by a strong floral scent locally called attar. For the uninitiated, Attar is a perfume extracted from flowers, a beloved indulgence for Muslims and as I then noticed, for Agra folk. For the curious kid in me, the city had much to offer. Yes, the Taj Mahal was an aesthetic delight. Like everyone else, we rushed in with impatient curiosity, trying to beat others to it but were forced to stay put, stunned and dumbfounded at the sight. Young and old alike, stood dazed and appalled by its simplistic magnificence. As we walked closer to the Taj - past the gates, beside the fountains and above the stairs, paces fell and walks slowed in sheer disbelief.


That said, Agra was essentially, a land of story tellers, each unique and conflicting, but with an inherent quality of spreading joy. Before we knew, we had stories seeping in from just about everywhere. From the Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort to Fatehpur Sikri, fascinating anecdotes followed us. At Sikri, another Mughal Capital once, we came across a story so often repeated it was deafeningly resounding. It so goes that a soldier once tried to escape the capital through the infamous tunnel in Sikri. As he got out in wait of a free life, he was welcomed by none other than Akbar himself, in a virtual canopy of soldiers surrounding him. The emperor bend forward calmly, looked at the soldier and asked him in a father-like tone, ‘Humari khidmat ne tabiyat-marz kar diya, janab’? It finds you wondering whether to laud the historic tunnel more or the tale woven around it.


The story, most heard is the one where Shah Jehan, ordered the limbs of the chief architect of the tomb stone, to be cut off. Most people would take that as a co-incidence but this story would inevitably be followed by two other stories. The first being, a story about how the emperor desired to built a replica of the Taj Mahal for his final resting abode. While it was still being erected, Shah Jehan was imprisoned by his son, the oppressive Aurangzeb confining him within the walls of Mussamman Burz, an isolated chamber in the Agra fort. Shah Jehan lived for another 8 years in absolute seclusion, with nothing but a mirror image of the Taj Mahal to keep him satiated. That, as ironic as it might be, would be the second story.


When it comes to Agra and more so the Taj, a million such stories need to be told and listened to. What, in the eyes of a curious eight year old, makes the city what it is today, is not the message of love or the exquisite designs or the fascinating history. It is indeed the flawless brilliance of these story tellers, rich in attar and drenched in narrative.


 

4 comments so far.

  1. Riddhi Parekh July 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    I remember even my first time at Taj was with my family... And I can't forget how mesmerized I was with its beauty
  2. Kruti Desai July 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    I am 21, an Indian by birth and residency but I have never been to the Taj Mahal. While most people look down upon me with shame for de-voiding myself of its beauty, I have reasons greater to not go there. Since the time I could understand the simplest words, I have read about the monument, at times in words as bland as those in a school essay on 'My visit to the Taj Mahal', other times in travel magazines describing it in a string of adjectives and more often in tales, with it serving as the perfect backdrop. Today, my expectations are so heightened, the pictures in my mind are so stunning, I am scared to be disappointed.

    Do you think my fears are true?

    P.S. Your description is quite unlike what I have read so far. Must I say its beautifully written 'coz every passing line, the vivid images your tale draws in my mind, gets clearer.
  3. The Last Leg July 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    @ Riddhi Parekh -

    Is that so? Well, I guess that is the case with most families.

    Strange, weird, fascinating - but true!

    @ Kruti Desai -

    Who am I, Nostradamus? For one, I don't think that such a fear should stop you from visiting the place. Worst come, and your fear comes true - you would only return better-prepared for later and more importantly, with a few observations and experiences that none of us have had. Is that not a good thing?

    Secondly, you would NOT be disappointed.

    Oh and yes, thanks for the overtly-flattering words!
  4. noir July 11, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    Love the choice of Photograph as you set out into the piece.

    It sets the mood in its enormity along with "4 am on the coldest January morning of the year, we were cutting through the mist and comfortably cruising along to Agra."

    Ill remember this line for years to come.

    Amit

Something to say?