WorldWideWhat?!?!?

Category: , , , By The Last Leg


How paralysed are we, as a generation? For how long can we keep fooling ourselves, trapped nauseously in this drudgery of dependence – on people, brands, MTV, tabloids, on love, on war, on George ‘imbecile’ Bush, on humanity? Whatever little is left of this proclaimed revolution, which by the way, is a total fallacy, a gimmick if you please, has been stripped off its very identity by this unwanted abundance of halogen lights, voicemail, public transport, 1000 rupee notes, mp3 and most of all – the fucking internet.


Around me, dazed and spineless, sit these idle heads wondering pointlessly what it is that they are here for today? Is it a congress of men and women, who go green, red and amber at the sight of each other but are too formally correct and polite to say so? Is it a cheap fashion parade where each looks like a shallow portrait of the other, talking precariously to their celebrated genitals, in a world where eye contact or spiritual connect of any sort is, at best, secondary?


I wonder if the walls in this ‘digital fortress’ are alive, living as much, if not more than the uninspired souls that occupy the large platinum thrones inside. Maybe, just maybe, these patchy white walls are the ones that somehow hold the sanctity of this godforsaken place intact. What if they have had enough? What if they refuse to stay mute witnesses to this dead Poseidon? What if they explode, breaking free of all the tyrant clutches that entrap them, taking down with them the anarchy that prevails?


What if?


P.S: I post this on my Web Log. The irony!


P.P.S: Are you any better off?


 

6 comments so far.

  1. AppuApe August 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    i guess you have raised too many questions.... at the same time!

    and the pure wrath that you have unleashed is a marker that you have reached the "yield point"!!

    as for being different.... well i think as an individual most of must be.... but when worldly wise.... we all are a prey of all the fallacies that you have mentioned!!
  2. The Last Leg August 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    I like how you put across your point. I agree completely, with most of what you are saying but I hope you realise that the said post is not that much of an objective opinion as it is a rant.

    That said, I guess we ought to raise too many questions. Don't we?

    P.S: I might have to disagree with you on the yield point bit. I don't think I have reached there yet.

    ;-)

    Thanks!
  3. noir August 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    Man is a creature of convenience. A few had to give it up to satisfy the craving of discovery, to make the unknown known. The art of grinding, the discovery of the control of fire, invention of the wheel made the rest sit back and procrastinate a bit more.

    As time egged past, the ratio of the men of convenience to men of discovery grew more and more skewed. And today as the gap and numbers stand, nearly 6 billion people procrastinate on the success of not even 10,000 innovators. Obviously the marketers of the innovations are more the richer. It’s convenient to amass wealth based on some else’s hard work. I digress.

    I’ve succumbed to procrastination. I’ve succumbed to convenience. It’s a gift. It’s a curse. It’s my weapon of choice.
  4. The Last Leg August 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    Ahhh...convenience!

    Your comment makes me want to put it up as a separate post, not only because it is written well, but also since it sounds and reads complete in itself and very distanced in its entirety, from my opinion. I would love to see, and I hope so would you, how readers react to this.

    But, most of all, I don't have a ready reply to what you are saying and hence, might as well let others share what they think.

    Convenience again!
  5. Piper August 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    Have you ever had people adding you on facebook but not even bothering to look up and say 'hi' when they're passing you by the very next day? It feels weird. This, according to me, is the height of virtualisation.

    This is an incredibly well-written post in the sense that you've touched multiple themes in a very short space. This is one topic I've been trying to write on too, and will pretty soon.

    Good work!
  6. The Last Leg August 25, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    Oh yes, too many times!

    I get this notification one day that 'so and so' has taken the 'how well do you know Varun Sinha' quiz and the very next day, I see 'so and so' at a party. From how (s)he found his way past me with a little shoulder tackle and a rather harsh 'excuse me', I don't think (s)he knew me at all.

    I am happy that my work, if that is the right word for such crap, has an ardent reader in you.

    Looking forward to your attempt,
    Thanks.

Something to say?